WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE IN AN ACCIDENT…
LIKE THE BOY SCOUTS SAY “BE PREPARED”
- Have a disposable camera, notepad and pen ready in your car.
- Keep the phone number of your insurance company in your glove box or program it into your phone.
- Download your insurance company’s app to your smart phone. For those of you who own one, smartphones can greatly save you time. Many insurance companies have apps that will allow you to notify your insurance company of an accident and file a claim online.
- Save your insurance agent’s website to your favorites list on your cell phone.
- Documents that you should carry: driver’s license, auto insurance cards, auto registration (in your vehicle at all times).
AT THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT
- In case of injury or a major collision call 911 immediately, and be prepared to describe the exact location of the accident. Wait for assistance and do not get out of your car if you are on the freeway or a major thoroughfare.
- In minor accidents, move vehicles to the side of the road out of harm’s way and call the police if you feel that it is necessary.
- Exchange information including name, address, phone number, driver’s license, insurance company and policy number. Take a picture of their documents with your smartphone, or write them down. Include the scene of the accident, damage to the vehicles involved, traffic signals, stop signs, and crosswalks.
- If your car is inoperable, have your automobile club or insurance company send a tow truck. You will need to decide where to have your vehicle towed: to your home, your mechanic, or a collision repair center. If you have your car towed to MD Collision Center, we can work with your insurance company to get you back on the road as soon as possible.